You are here: Home » Our Travel Tales » Europe » Northern Europe » Travel Often Means No Pets…

Travel Often Means No Pets…

by Andrea on April 16, 2012

John and I always talk about getting a couple of dogs and a cat someday, but our nomadic lifestyles have kept us pet-free for years.

Thank goodness our neighbours have them!

mr whiskers3 Travel Often Means No Pets...

We LOVE animals. And apparently the Norwegians do too – there is no dearth of dogs, cats and pet shops in Stavanger. But we mostly come in contact with the neighbourhood kitties, who all seem to live outdoors and have the fluffiest bodies we’ve ever seen.

Meet Mrs. Whiskers (or just ‘W’ as we’ve come to know her)

mr whiskers2 Travel Often Means No Pets...She lives right next door. We’ve sort of ‘adopted’ her since the Easter holidays when her family was out of town and she hung out in our yard for awhile. She’s very friendly for a cat and loves attention. Apparently the crawlspace under our deck is her hideout place when it rains or hails and she can’t get back to her own front porch.

mr whiskers1 Travel Often Means No Pets...

Do you have or want a pet? How have your travels affected this?

614156 Travel Often Means No Pets... Travel Often Means No Pets...

Emily in Chile April 16, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Leaving Lola is definitely the worst part of traveling. I’m glad you guys have a friendly neighbor cat to get your pet fix!

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:05 am

I could NOT leave Lola behind without serious heartache if she were mine – I haven’t met her yet but from photos she looks like such a darling!

Laura April 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Due to the same reasons, we are also pet-free. Unfortunately. So we are always looking for friends with pets. LOL. Ah, when I say pets, I mean cats.
I love the cat of your neighbor. Soooo fluffy! Another great detail about Norway. We can hardly wait to get there.

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

You’ll love it! Such a unique place…lots of fluffy kitties in our neighbourhood =)

Erica April 17, 2012 at 1:25 am

I miss my dog.

Seriously.

I hate cats and apparently I needed love so badly I fell in love with a friends kittens. /sigh

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:03 am

Aww, you know…desperate times…

Jill April 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I LOVE this cat! Orange cats are my favorite… and that fluff!!!

There are so many stray cats in Abu Dhabi and I’ve always wanted to adopt one. Unfortunately, my building doesn’t allow it. And I suppose it really doesn’t make sense to have a pet when I leave for trips every so often and spend entire summers away. But one day!

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:06 am

If they have a cattery you might be ok. Friends of ours always leave their cat at one when they travel – I saw the website once and it looks like a cat palace! But not sure if they have anything like that in the Middle East?

Ian [EagerExistence] April 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, it sucks having no pets and travelling. I had to give up my doggy before I left on my epic year-long adventure… but at least he went to a good home.

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thank goodness for that but how sad! I still miss the dog I had to give away…

Stephanie - The Travel Chica April 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

The desire to travel has always been a big reason for not getting a pet (although not the only one). I enjoy my friend’s pets and jump at the opportunity to pet-sit when they go out of town.

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:03 am

It’s great when you can have fun with pets and then hand them back at the end, isn’t it? I feel that way about kids that aren’t mine =)

Christy @ Technosyncratic April 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I can only imagine how much that cat sheds….

We miss our dog like whoa, but we get to see him in less than a month!! I hope he remembers us, lol.

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:02 am

Oh yeah – he always wants to rub against my leg and the amount of fur that comes off is ridiculous. No wonder he’s an outdoor kitty!

I’m sure your dog will remember you! I gave my dog to my mother many years ago and I remember that I would go like two years without visiting them and my pup always remembered me and would just follow me around the house =) Enjoy!

Andi April 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hahaha my husband would be in heaven!

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

Is Lucas a cat person? So is John! I never was (but I love dogs), though John has gotten me liking them much more now.

Erin April 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I brought my dog with me to Costa Rica. She was 9 when we moved and I’d had her since she was 5 weeks old. I couldn’t imagine leaving her behind. Recently, I became lucky enough to find roommates who enjoy caring for her while I’m off gallivanting around Central America.

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 6:59 am

How wonderful that your roommates will look after her – I’d be afraid to leave my dog behind. That strapped my travel-loving mother to our house for many years when I was growing up. Makes me think twice about pets now.

Erin April 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I was afraid and always worried before. These are the 1st people I can absolutely trust. THey even walk her when I can’t so she gets to go on walks twice a day. We’re really really lucky to have found roommates that care like that!!!

Erin April 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Nate April 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

What a great cat! Travel and pets, is a really difficult combination. I love it when the local cats take a shining to me, and just hang out for a while, then carry on their merry way. They can be quite the social butterflies!

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 6:58 am

I was surprised, actually – usually the cats we encounter on our travels are scaredy cats (or very aggressive street cats).

Annie-FootTracker April 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm

My boyfriend’s family has a cat, dog, 2 birds and couple fishes. Every time they travel they have to pay someone to stay in the house to watch the animals. They also tend to take shorter trips because they miss their pets… =( too bad it is a hassle to bring animals abroad to another country,.

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 6:57 am

That’s the problem – and good housesitters aren’t always easy to come by! I could never leave a dog in a kennel, but cats do seem to adapt alright to the catteries.

A Montrealer Abroad April 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Such a cutie! I am definitely a crazy cat lady. No shame there!

I had a cat when I lived in Montreal. I left it to a friend when I left last year, but brought it with me over the Atlantic when I got back to France after the Christmas holidays. I just couldn’t live without her, since I spend pretty much all my time at home when I’m not traveling. Best decision ever!

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 6:56 am

Aww – it is too hard to give up a pet. I’m actually more of a dog person – I had a boxer once from a puppy but it was too hard to take care of her properly with my school schedule so I gave her to my mother who had recently lost her own dog. I still got to see her during visits but it was never the same.

Sophie April 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

I adore both cats and dogs, but having pets really isn´t very compatible with travelling. Luckily, like you, we have plenty of cats in the neighbourhood who stops by, whether they´re invited or not :)

inspiringtravellers April 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Ha, ha – they all do that, do they? We have mostly our one favourite cat but I see plenty of others. It seems the cats stay outdoors and the dogs indoors in Norway!

Shanna Schultz April 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

We have two kitties. They miss us when we go (and we miss them) but we have a trusted pet sitter who stops by once a day for play time and to check up on them. This gives us great peace of mind while we are gone, both for the fact that we know that the cats are well cared for and for the fact that someone is there to check on our house once a day.

inspiringtravellers April 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I agree, Shanna – it’s really great to have someone keeping an eye on your house while you’re away, especially if they can also be good to your pets =)

Alexa Meisler April 18, 2012 at 11:10 pm

He’s one of the fluffiest cats I have ever seen! I believe that Norwegians love everything that is good in this world so I am not surprised how they care for animals as well.

inspiringtravellers April 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

Animals definitely add to the lifestyle, Alexa – cheers! =)

Nomadic Samuel April 19, 2012 at 8:40 am

I think I could learn to become good friends with Mr. Whiskers :)

inspiringtravellers April 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

And don’t you two share a similar shade of hair? =)

Heinz Rainer April 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

Oh wow, yes she is really nice !

inspiringtravellers April 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

Cheers, Heinz!

VetTechMel April 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

This is the same reason we don’t have any pets yet either. We often spend entire years away from home, and travelling with a pet would be extremely difficult and not fair to the pet. I’ve managed to get my dose of cuteness though by volunteering at humane societies if I’m in one location for long enough. Otherwise, it’s all about meeting the local cats! Oh and a donkey once in Italy!

inspiringtravellers April 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm

That’s a great idea, Mel! I never even thought of that – didn’t know they accept volunteers, actually. We once visited the open day of a society that trains the seeing-eye labradors in Melbourne – darling! If I ever had a year where I could be a “puppy-raiser” for them I would have loved it – they’re so cute…

VetTechMel April 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Being a puppy raiser would be so fun! They are very cute. Yes, a lot of humane societies accept volunteers. In fact, some are in desperate need of people who are willing to give their time to help out and plan with the animals. It’s really hard not to get attached, though! I’ve been lucky to see a lot of them adopted.

robin April 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Serndipity – I´ve just posted on pets/travel/adoption myself. So intrigued at how your time in Norway is going to turn out!

Lisa April 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I love it that you have already made a pet friend. That is a pretty nice sized cat, and you’re right it has a lot of fur. I’m sure it was enjoying the extra love.

inspiringtravellers April 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

We think so too – he always hangs around now. I just have to open the door and he’ll come darting around the corner to say hello. John likes having an extra creature to greet him when he comes home from work too, haha. Best cat ever!

Ali April 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm

My friend Amanda also travels a lot and decided against getting a dog because of that. But she will sometimes petshare (like timeshare…) her friends’ dogs so she can have a pet for a few days.

inspiringtravellers May 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Petshare – that’s so cute! Wish we had friends nearby with pets we could furbaby-sit =)

Milena Yordanova July 21, 2014 at 7:24 am

Gorgeous cat! Too bad my neighbours don’t have such cute cats.