You are here: Home » Our Travel Tales » North & Central America » USA » An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City

An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City

by Andrea on February 18, 2013

Since my first captivating experience at a matinee of Jekyll & Hyde in 2001, I’ve been fortunate enough to see four Broadway productions. If I still lived in New York I’m sure I’d be attending shows constantly because I enjoy them so much. I love the music, the singing and dancing, the costumes and the stories, and few places in the world can boast the sheer concentration of talented actors and world-class theatres possessed by New York City.

During our latest stay in New York we had the pleasure of being guests of The Broadway Collection, a selection of both new and classic musicals that represent “simply the best that Broadway has to offer.” These shows are tremendously popular with international audiences and, of course, at home as well.

times square night nyc An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City

Times Square, New York City: home of Broadway’s best

We elected to see Chicago, which is the longest running American musical in history and the third longest running on Broadway. Despite being based on a 1926 play written by Maurine Dallas Watkins, Chicago never feels dated. Featuring black comedy and clever satire, along with contemporary dance, the story takes the audience to the 1920s when aspiring starlet Roxy Hart (played by Amy Spanger) goes on trial for her life after gunning down her lover. Well-known hits like “All That Jazz” and “Razzle Dazzle” tell not only Roxy’s story but also those of her fellow inmates. Her co-star, Velma Kelly, was played by Amra-Faye Wright, who has been playing her role worldwide since 2001.

chicago theater exterior ny An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City

We had amazing orchestra seats in the beautiful Ambassador Theater and really enjoyed the performance. In particular I liked the way the orchestra was positioned on the stage with the actors on a tiered set piece, as well as the way all the actors were always on stage, even if just sitting in the background. Everyone had different roles to play and the supporting cast members are just as interesting as the leads. Even for a piece set in the 1920s, Chicago‘s subject matter is certainly not out of date, exploring the delicate interplay between celebrity, crime, politics, corruption, fame and the media.

chicago poster nyc An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City

Everyone planning a trip to NYC should get tickets to a Broadway show. The best way to be sure you experience the performance you want to see (and in the best seats) and to avoid hassles is to purchase tickets before arriving in New York. A great way to do this is through a tour operator:

• Attraction World (www.attractionworld.com)
• Attraction Tickets Direct (www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk)
• Lastminute.com
• TUI Travel (www.tuitravelplc.com)
• Virgin Holidays (www.virginholidays.co.uk)
• Titan Travel (www.titantravel.co.uk)

ambassador theater nyc nigh An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City
If you’re already in the United States, Broadway tickets can also be booked through Telecharge.com and Ticketmaster. And be sure to check in with The Broadway Collection to get information on their current shows.

The Broadway Collection hosted our Chicago experience but all opinions are our own.

Have you been to a Broadway show? What did you think?

614156 An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City An Evening On Broadway: Seeing Chicago In New York City

memographer February 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Chicago is fun! Great choice! Love your night shots of NYC.
For some timing issues I have never been to a Broadway show… Every time I visit NYC I plan my “Broadway Night” and can’t get there…. too sad :(

inspiringtravellers February 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Oh no! That must be rectified…promise me you’ll go next time? Book your tickets in advance so you have no excuse =)

Emma February 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Saw Chicago on Broadway on my Honeymoon :)
Unfortunately illness and jet lag meant I kept falling asleep, despite the live Jazz band belting out the hits about 10 metres in front of me! But it was great, loved the bits I saw!

inspiringtravellers February 18, 2013 at 5:58 pm

That happened to my father when I took him to Phantom of the Opera. I kept having to wake him up because he was snoring!

Nicole @ Suitcase Stories February 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Ive only seen 1 broadway show (and it wasn’t Chicago but thats on the list!) and I loved it! We are heading back to NY in May and I am planning to see at least 2 shows while we are there. This post got me all excited about it! Thanks :)

inspiringtravellers February 19, 2013 at 11:19 am

That’s exciting, Nicole! I hope you have a great experience =)

Jennifer February 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love Chicago! I’ve seen it twice, once on Broadway and once in Las Vegas. And I absolutely agree that going to a Broadway show is quintessential NYC!

inspiringtravellers February 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Had no idea Chicago was running in Vegas – they do everything down there now…

Ali February 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I’ve never been to a Broadway show before, but it definitely sounds like a great experience. I’ll add it to my list of to-dos for whenever we get back to NYC.

inspiringtravellers February 19, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Yes, you must! =)

Karla February 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

That is so great to hear! I haven’t seen Chicago but I will next time I go to NYC.

The ones I’ve had the pleasure of seeing are: Phantom of the Opera (a classic) and the Sound of Music, loved them!

I’ve recently been translating show descriptions and there are new ones I would love to see including the one Mrs Bette Midler will star in. Ah I forgot, Nathan Lane will also be in a show.

Broadway is my next destination ;)

Thank you for sharing! xo

inspiringtravellers February 19, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I saw Phantom too. Have yet to see one with a major celebrity starring though – that would be great!

The Guy February 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Seeing a show is certainly a strongly encouraged thing to do when visiting New York. On my sole trip (so far) I bought tickets on the day from the discount ticket booths beside a hotel on the top of Broadway. I got tickets to Phantom of the Opera at half price. I don’t really like musicals yet I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

inspiringtravellers February 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm

The discount ticket booths are great if you don’t mind what you see and in what seats — that’s the way we went for my first ever Broadway show. There are so many great shows that it’s a good bet just rockin’ up to the booth…

Andi February 20, 2013 at 1:12 am

I have always been obsessed with Broadway! LOVE Chicago!!! My favorite will always be the Phantom though.

inspiringtravellers February 20, 2013 at 10:34 am

Mine so far has been Avenue Q ;)

Cathy Sweeney February 20, 2013 at 1:27 am

I always make it a point to see a Broadway show when I’m in NYC. I prefer plays, but have seen a few great musicals, too. It’s always a thrill to go to the theater.

inspiringtravellers February 20, 2013 at 10:35 am

I haven’t seen a play in NYC on Broadway but would love to. My other favourite is to go and hear classical music – the orchestra… I would also love to see a modern ballet there at some point. So much culture in NYC!

D.J. - The World of Deej February 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Cool experience….we are planning a blowout Broadway and dining trip to NYC this December!

inspiringtravellers February 21, 2013 at 11:49 am

Oh fantastic! Enjoy =)

Sarah Park February 23, 2013 at 8:28 pm

New York is also famous in Broadway shows. Chicago is a very good choice.

Jess @UsedYorkCity February 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm

So glad you enjoyed it! When I used to teach theater, I had my students perform Razzle Dazzle, and it was one of the cutest dance numbers ever! Love Chicago!:-)

inspiringtravellers February 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm